With Saturn in eclipse, the rings show off their colors in this image from Cassini taken on September 3, 2010.
I assembled this image from three raw files taken with Cassini’s red, green and blue color filters. Some sharpening was applied and the resulting file doubled in pixel size. At the bottom of the image Saturn’s shadow cuts across the rings which likewise form a dark silhouette against the planet’s night side, dimly lit by ringshine. Scattered sunlight in Saturn’s atmosphere create a bright thin arc along its limb. Stunning!
Image credit: NASA/JPL/Space Science Institute. Assembled by J. Major.
May I Recommend:
Voices of Exploration"It was a cherished experience. I feel I got to see the grand order of things. In the overall scheme of things, it proves that men can do anything they want to if they work hard enough at it.'"
– Scott Carpenter (1925–2013) Mercury astronaut and second American to orbit Earth
LIVE NASA TV
- Sign 6-year-old Connor's petition to fund @NASA "So we can discover new worlds and make dreams come true." wh.gov/lkKc0 2 hours ago
- Gene Cernan calls 6-year-old boy who's trying to save NASA #awesome fb.me/2e4RD103M 2 hours ago
- The Space Report is out! paper.li/JPMajor/astron… Stories via @ChrisAstro 2 hours ago
- @karlfrankjr That little gem was via @dailykos 2 hours ago
- RT @karlfrankjr: @JPMajor Money may not buy you love or happiness but it sure can keep you out of prison. 2 hours ago
- Apparently if you're a filthy rich 16 year old in Texas and you get drunk and kill a family, this is where you go: hopebythesea.com/#r=off 3 hours ago
- Crescent Venus by @CameraChamp: Better shot of Venus tonight http://t.co/L51SYGlSfq MT 4 hours ago
- Jupiter’s Moon Europa Has Jets Like Enceladus!
- Fly Over Titan’s “Land O’Lakes”
- “Take Us Home, Scotty…” Juno Takes the First Video of Earth and Moon From Space
- Cassini’s Best Look Yet At Saturn’s Crazy Hexagon
- So… What’s Up With ISON?
- Questions About ISON? Here Are Some Answers:
- The Other Side of ISON: Here’s the Comet as Seen from Mercury
- Watch this beautiful new trailer for “In Saturn’s Rings”
- Happy Birthday, ISS!
- The 2014 Year in Space Calendars are Here!
- What Happened to Mars?
- OMG Saturn.
- Astronomers Spot an Asteroid Sporting Six Comet-Like Tails
- Vesta’s Formation History? It’s Complicated.
- NASA’s Surprising Discoveries About Three Near-Earth Asteroids
Thanks, Steve."Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary."
– Steve Jobs, 1955 – 2011
One last thing…